Accreditation & Travel Certificates

Accreditation & Travel Certificates

What are the requirements to apply for veterinary accreditation?

Accreditation is handled by USDA APHIS and more information can be found on their website.

What should my client do to obtain a travel certificate for their pet?

The client must have their animal examined by a veterinarian. If the animal meets the destination country’s requirements, the veterinarian can issue the health certificate.

Your client should check the requirements from the destination country to determine whether an accredited veterinarian must complete the health certificate. Many countries, including all of the European Union, require the veterinarian who examines your animal or pet and issues the health certificate to be federally accredited. Some countries refer to accredited veterinarians using various terminologies such as competent authority, official veterinarian, or issuing authorized veterinarian.

USDA APHIS National Veterinary Accreditation Program (NVAP)

If you have any questions about your NVAP application, renewal or extension, please contact the Michigan area office at 517/337-4700 or

Become Accredited
Renew My Accreditation

Michigan Veterinary Medical Association

2144 Commons Parkway
Okemos, MI 48864-3986



Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software