As part of MVMA’s commitment to becoming a more diverse, equitable and inclusive organization, we are creating a committee to help direct and oversee some of this work. We are now accepting applications for the DEI Committee. Anyone interested should fill out the application by clicking here. MVMA is looking for members of this committee to possess the following criteria:
- Has respect for diversity in all of its facets.
- Committed to helping the MVMA serve and grow a diverse constituent base.
- Has a willingness to champion diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Has an influential presence and can motivate others.
- Understands the MVMA and the challenges associated with an increasingly diverse world.
- Is committed to the values of equity and inclusion; to cultivating an inclusive association; and to removing barriers to membership.
- Has a willingness to learn and grow in the area of diversity equity and inclusion.
- A team player who seeks to develop solutions that benefit the MVMA.
The MVMA Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee will consist of 9-11 member veterinarians, as well as 5-6 additional non-voting members from various sectors of the community, unrelated to veterinary medicine. We will meet as many times as necessary to complete the work, but no less than every other month for the first year. The committee seats will offer one-, two- and three-year terms, with the goal of having about one-third of the committee rolling off each year. Members will be able to serve no more than two consecutive three-year terms. If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We plan to have members selected by the end of 2020, with the first meeting of the DEI Committee taking place in January. Applications are due by Friday, Dec. 4.